If you have questions, there’s a good chance you’ll find the answer here. If you still have questions, feel free to ask us using the handy form below!
FAQ: Powder Brow
WHAT IS A POWDER BROW?
Unlike microblading or a combination brow, a powder brow (also known as an ombre brow) has no hair strokes and is made up entirely of machine shading. It is ideal for all skin types.
When doing a powder brow, a single needle tattoo machine implants small dots of pigment below the skin. These dots are layered on top of each other until the desired amount of saturation is achieved. We can do a very soft amount of shading with no harsh edges for an ultra natural look, or layer shading on top of each other for a more defined, fill in look! Powder brows can be completely customized to fit the clients preferences.
A powder brow can be just as natural as microblading! If you have oily skin, large pores, uneven brow hair growth, or very coarse hair, microbladed strokes look very unnatural and don’t blend with the natural hair. It can lead to blotchy, uneven ink saturation in the skin, and blurred results over time. A powder brow would give an even layer of color of the brow, healing to the perfect powdery finish! Powder brow are not “sharpie brows”, and have gorgeous results!
Like the other brow styles, a powder brow is semi-permanent and will fade over time. However, this style typically lasts the longest, creates the least amount of trauma, and fades the best over time!
Powder brows may look intense at first, but the results heal to a soft, powdery finish.
HOW LONG DOES IT LAST?
Permanent makeup is designed to fade over time, but is still considered a tattoo. Factors such as skin type, lifestyle, age, metabolism, medications, and pigment color affect the longevity of the tattoo. The sun and some kinds of lighting (tanning beds) can affect the rate at which these pigments are broken down. Following the given aftercare instructions is critical to getting your best healed results, and touch-up your brows every 12-24 months (as needed). Touch-ups are normal and expected for permanent cosmetics. Picking the proper service for your skin type and following the proper aftercare will lead to beautiful results for years to come!
*Please note that final results vary and CANNOT be guaranteed due to the nature of skin as it heals. A follow-up appointment is recommended 6-12 weeks after your initial session where we can assess your pigment retention and perfect your permanent makeup!
AM I A CANDIDATE?
Unfortunately, not everyone is a candidate for permanent makeup. I want each of my clients to get the absolute best results possible, and not every skin type accommodates that. The following list disqualify you from currently receiving permanent makeup. With questions regarding your specific question, please email email@example.com .
You are not a candidate if you are…
• Pregnant or breastfeeding
• Currently using or have been on Accutane within the last 12 months
• Have a freshly tanned/sunburned face
• Are taking blood thinning medications (may be a candidate for powder brows, please email firstname.lastname@example.org)
• Are currently undergoing treatment for cancer
• Chemotherapy or Radiation treatment within last 12 months
• All clients must be at least 18 years old.
WHAT FACTORS WILL EFFECT MY RESULTS?
• Oily Skin: Increased oil production can cause hair strokes to blur and fade very quickly, or not stick at all. If you have combination or oily skin, you are a candidate for a combination or powder brows, but not for microblading.
• Sun Exposure: Increased exposure to the sun will cause premature fading. I recommend all my clients purchase Cannasmack Ink Guard on Amazon to protect their healed brows from the sun.
• Excessive Bleeding: Excessive bleeding during your procedure will greatly affect how your body retains pigment. Pinpoint bleeding throughout the procedure is normal, but excessive bleeding causes pigment to fade very quickly and heal ashy. While bleeding is not entirely in our control, it is important that you follow before care instructions to help minimize bleeding. This includes avoiding blood thinning medications and alcohol 24 hours before your procedure.
• Improper Pre and Post Care: Not following the given pre and post care instructions will greatly diminish your healed results. Follow all instructions exactly for the best results! I can only control what happens inside my studio, so please come prepared beforehand and follow all instructions exactly afterwards for the best results.
DOES IT HURT?
Most clients report little to no pain throughout their procedure. While pain tolerance varies between clients, a topical Lidocaine is used throughout the procedure to make sure you’re comfortable.
HOW SHOULD I PREPARE FOR MY APPOINTMENT?
Preparing for your appointment is just as important for good healed results as post care. Failure to follow pre-care may result in you being sent home the day of your appointment, so please read the following carefully! You coming prepared to your appointment means better healed results and a better overall experience.
2 WEEKS BEFORE:
• BOTOX: If you regularly get Botox or Dysport, it must be done at least 14 days prior to your appointment. It takes at least that long to settle in the skin. Receiving it withing 14 days of your appointment will result in being sent home and asked to reschedule.
• WAXING/THREADING: I recommend coming to your appointment with your brows grown out, no need to have them cleaned up before! I prefer to see how they grow naturally, and will clean them up for you at your appointment. If you need to clean them up beforehand, please do so at least 2 weeks before your appointment. If you tint your brows, please do so at least 7 days prior.
• RETIN-A: Please refrain from using any retin-a products in the brow area for 2 weeks leading up to your appointment.
24 HOURS BEFORE:
To minimize bleeding during the procedure, please avoid any alcohol and excessive caffeine. Blood thinning medications such as Ibuprofen and Advil should also be avoided unless prescribed by a doctor.
DAY OF YOUR APPOINTMENT:
• Avoid exercise. Exercising increases blood flow and will cause excessive bleeding, leading to poor healed results.
• Makeup: You are welcome to come to your appointment with or without makeup on. We will be taking lots of photos, so come however you are most comfortable. If you regularly fill in your brows, coming with at least your brows filled in helps me see your regular shape.
• Bring your brow makeup. If you have a specific product you love, bring it along!
• RELAX! Feeling nervous is normal. We are going to work together to create your dream brows!
• Take a deep breath and get excited!
I’VE HAD MY BROWS DONE BEFORE, WILL YOU STILL DO THEM?
I require that anyone who has had their brows done previously by another artist text me a picture before booking an appointment or scheduling a permanent makeup consultation.
I typically only go over other artists work if it’s at least 85-90% faded, and all new clients to me are considered initial sessions.
I want to give my clients the very best, and help create their dream brows. If I don’t think we can achieve what you’re wanting with your existing work, I will give recommendations on how to help the ink fade more quickly or recommend a removal.
Please email current photos of your brows, along with your goal photo to email@example.com before booking to make sure I am comfortable working over the existing work.
WHAT CAN I EXPECT IMMEDIATELY AFTER MY APPOINTMENT?
Immediately after getting your brows done, you may experience minor redness or swelling around the treated area, which typically goes away within 24 hours. Over the next few hours, the pigment in the skin will oxidize, making the brows look darker and warmer (red) than they were initially. This is normal and expected. Pigment typically fades anywhere from 20-40% once fully healed.
Around day 3-4, you may notice light scabbing and flaking on the treated area. This is normal!
Please refrain from picking at the brows. Doing so will result in loss of pigment in those areas and can cause scarring. Brows may appear spotty or patchy until the entire brow has finished healing. Once all the flaking is complete (usually around day 10), the brows will appear much lighter. The pigment will lighten over the next 4-6 weeks and the pigment will return to the skin in it healed color.
At 4-6 weeks, your brows will be fully healed. Whatever pigment that does not return will be addressed at your touch up appointment. At this appointment, we will assess your retention, touch up the spots that didn’t stick, and can adjust the pigment color to give you perfect brows! Once the brows have healed from your touch up appointment, you will have beautiful, full brows for 12-36 months!
Following the given aftercare is crucial to obtain the best results! All clients are expected to follow the following instructions exactly to get the best healed results! All products needed for your aftercare will be provided to you at your appointment.
• Keep your new brows dry for 72 hours. This means keeping them dry in the shower, and avoiding sweating, saunas, and steam for the next 3 days. No working out or excessive sweating for 7-10 days.
• Cleanse in the morning for 10 days with the recommended cleanser.
• Apply a thin layer of aftercare balm to the brows 2-3x a day for 10 days.
• No makeup can go on the brows for 14 days. You may wear makeup around the brows, but leave at least one inch around them at all times to prevent infection.
• Avoid direct sun exposure for 2 weeks. Please plan vacations and outings accordingly to avoid as much sun as possible.
• Do not touch, pick, rub, or scratch the brows. Do not pick the scabs or flakes as they come off, this will remove the pigment and lead to patchiness and scarring.
• No anti-aging or acne products on the brows ever (anything with Retinol, Glycolic Acid, Salicylic Acid, etc.)
DO I NEED A TOUCH UP APPOINTMENT?
Yes! PMU is a two-step process, and a touch up is strongly recommended to get the best results. Also known as the “perfecting session”, a touch up is done 6-7 weeks after your initial session, and is where we assess your retention, perfect the shape and color, and add more dimension. Touch ups are very important and add to the overall results and longevity of your PMU. Because I typically book out months in advance, it is strongly encouraged to book your touch up appointment at the same time as you book your initial session. Setting up both appointments in advance ensures you will get in on time for your touch up and get the best results!
WHEN SHOULD I BOOK MY ANNUAL REFRESHER?
After your initial session and 6-12 week touch up are completed, most clients are able to go 1-2 years between annual touch ups! The longevity of your PMU will depend on your skin type, lifestyle, and how well you take care of them. Things like excessive sun exposure and some skincare products can shorten the life of your PMU and cause them to fade into unnatural colors. Be sure to follow the long term aftercare instructions provided to keep your brows looking amazing for as long as possible!
Before booking an annual refresher, it’s important to let your brows fade at least 40-50%. Letting the previous ink fade allows us to keep that ink fresh in the skin. If the ink in your skin from previous appointments isn’t faded enough, adding more ink can cause the entire brow to look blotchy and uneven. Let them fade! If you’re ever unsure if you are ready for an annual refresher or not, email pictures to Sheilajoles@hotmail.com and I will let you know.
WILL PMU REPLACE MY MAKEUP?
While permanent makeup is amazing for defining the brow and enhancing a client’s features, it’s important to have realistic expectations about what it can and cannot do. Permanent makeup is a cosmetic tattoo, meaning it is going in your skin. Makeup sits on top of your skin. Therefore, some of things you can achieve with makeup will not look the same of give the same effect as a PMU tattoo. Because the tattoo we are creating is relatively permanent and is going in your skin, it’s very important where we place and shape the brow. Going too far away from where the hair naturally grows will look unnatural and won’t blend with the natural hair that you have.
Because the ink is being implanted under the skin, it’s also important to note that the healed results will always differ from fresh ones as the skin heals over it. Permanent makeup is not magic, and it’s important that we stay close to what your brows are naturally doing to maintain beautiful results. Here at Reign, we strive for natural results that will look amazing for years to come.
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE?
Initial sessions take 2-3 hours.
Touch up appointments take 1-2 hours.
HOW DO I BOOK AN APPOINTMENT?
All booking is done online through this website.
Once we have discussed your options via email, an invoice will be sent to your email for $100 if you decide to move forward with the service. This is your deposit, and must be paid within 24 hours. All deposits are nonrefundable. Deposits are nontransferable within 48 hours of your appointment. This invoice must be paid within 24 hours of receipt or your appointment request will be declined.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
Reign prides themselves in offering exceptional services at a reasonable rate.
Average cost for permanent makeup services can range from $500-900.
• MICROBLADING – $550
• COMBO BROWS – $650
• POWDER BROWS – $600
• 6-12 WEEK TOUCH UPS – $100
• ANNUAL REFRESHERS – $300
A $100 deposit is taken for each service at the time of booking, and goes towards the total cost of the service.
After the initial session and touch up, most clients are able to go 2-3 years between refresher appointments!
WHAT FORM OF PAYMENT IS ACCEPTED?
A nonrefundable $100 deposit is required for all appointment requests. The remaining balance is due at your appointment.
Payment at your appointment may be made using a debit or credit card or cash.
Tipping is completely optional. It is always appreciated, but never expected!
***All clients are required to be 18+ years of age, with or without parents consent.***