If you have questions, there’s a good chance you’ll find the answer here. If you still have questions, feel free to ask us using the handy form below!
FAQ: Lip Blush
WHAT IS LIP BLUSH?
Lip Blushing is a permanent treatment which enhances the natural shape of your lips. The technique is designed to give your lips the appearance of fullness and definition. A custom shade is chosen and the end results is a natural blush of color on your lips, which lasts from two to four years depending on your lifestyle, preference, skin factors and age.
HOW TO PREPARE FOR YOUR LIP BLUSH APPOINTMENT
Please exfoliate your lips within a week prior to the appointment. You can do this at home with a drop of coconut oil and sugar to create your own sugar scrub. Dry lips cannot be worked on, therefore it is important to stay hydrated and to moisturize your lips everyday before your appointment. I recommend using Aquaphor. If you have ever had a cold sore or fever blister please contact me at least one week prior to your appointment for further instructions.
HEALING PROCESS TIPS (Please Plan 7 Days For Healing)
• Avoid makeup on your lips, sauna, sunbathing, pool, and excessive sweating.
• Do not pick your lips (flaking and scabbing is normal).
• Drink liquids with a straw.
• Do not apply anything besides Aquaphor or aftercare ointment that is given (every 30 minutes, you must keep your lips moisturized).
• Do not scrub or exfoliate your lips, wash with fragrance-free soap twice a day and gently dry with a tissue napkin.
LIP BLUSH IS PERFECT FOR YOU IF YOU WANT TO ACHIEVE…
• Illusion of fullness and youthfulness
• Boost of color or tint without having to apply lipstick
• Cover lack of pigmentation, imperfections, darkness or hyper-pigmentation
WHO IS NOT SUITABLE FOR LIP BLUSH? ((Lip blush is not recommended for clients who are or have any of the following):
• Pregnant or nursing
• Diabetic or undergoing chemotherapy (Please advise doctor before going through procedure)
• Viral infections or diseases
• Accutane use in the past six months
• Had lip fillers within the past month
• Eczema on the area of procedure
• Chemical peels within the last two weeks
• Cold sores: if you are prone to cold sores, lip tattooing can cause outbreaks. It is your responsibility to take your prescribed anti-viral medication from your doctor a few days prior to your appointment and after the procedure to prevent any cold sores. If you have an outbreak on your lips, we ask that you reschedule your appointment.
DO I NEED A TOUCH UP?
The touch up is the final step of the lip blush procedure. First, touch up is recommended to be done no sooner than 6 weeks after the initial procedure. Please ensure you have waited long enough for lip fills, botox, chemical peels or laser treatments to have your touch up done. After the healing process, lips will lighten up to 50% than they appear immediately after the procedure. During your touch up session, it is possible to change the shape and the color. We can only go bolder not lighter. Healing various from person to person. Touch ups are done to go over any pigment loss during the healing process and to fill over any spots that the lips did not retain during the initial procedure.
These factors will cause your semi-permanent tattoo to fade faster:
• Iron deficiency
• Sun exposure
• Strong immune systems
• Exposure to salt water
HOW LONG DOES IT LAST?
Color retention depends on skin type, age, aftercare, sun exposure, use of certain products, pigments used, the immune system, medications, and other factors. However, generally the color lasts about 2 years. Touch ups are recommended once every 6 months to 1-2 years to prevent natural fading. Color choice is as important, and if not more important for a lip tattoo than a brow tattoo. Underlying blue, purple, or brown tones must be balanced, and in certain cases corrected, with the use of colors such as orange modifying pigments. The natural lip tone and skin tone must always be considered to achieve a color appropriate for each client.
DOES THE PROCEDURE HURT?
Topical anesthetic is applied before and during the procedure to minimize any discomfort. However, sensitivity differs from person to person. Do not take any blood thinners such as (Ibuprofen or Aspirin) 24 hours before the procedure.
WHAT IS YOUR STERILIZATION / SANITATION PROCESS?
• All needles and hand tools are single-use, come in a sterilized package, and disposed of after each client.
• Implements such as gauze, cotton swabs, etc. are single-use and disposed of after each client.
• Gloves and mask are worn at all times during the procedure and disposed of after each client.
• All stations are thoroughly disinfected with Cavi Wipes after each client.
• Reign & Co. is fully licensed, insured and health inspected.
Avoid sun exposure for 6 days after your tattoo appointment. Please avoid swimming or submerging the area in water for long periods of time during the first week. Proper aftercare will ensure the formation of thin scabs has more color retention. Keep out of the sun for 7 days after tattoo appointment.
FOR LIPS ONLY: Use Aquaphor to keep the tattoo protected while it heals and to soothe any discomfort such as itching or dryness. Avoid applying lip balms, lipstick, and any other lip products during this time. Apply Aquaphor every 30-60 minutes for the first week to keep your lips moisturized.
AVOID touching the tattooed area with your hands. Apply all recommended products with Q-tips ONLY. If the area must be touched with hands, ensure you thoroughly wash your hands before and after touching the tattooed area.
Day 3-4: When the scab begins to form, do not wipe- only dab to dry; you must be gentle! Do not pull off the scabs prematurely.
Week 2 or 3: After the procedure is completely healed, you may go back to your regular cleansing and makeup routine. Avoid scrubbing the area. Use sunblock after the area is healed to protect from sun fading.
• Scrub, rub, or pick at the epithelial crust that forms during the healing process. Allow it to flake
off by itself. If it is removed before it is ready, the pigment underneath can be pulled out.
• Use any makeup on the tattooed area for at least 7 days.
• Use any Retin-A, Glycol Acids, or Neosporin in the tattooed area during or after healing.
• Expose area to sun or tanning beds.
• Swim in a pool for 14 days after your procedure.